Monday, July 18, 2011

Manchester City agree Carlos Tevez sale to Corinthians

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has said that an agreement has been reached for the sale of Argentina striker Carlos Tevez to Corinthians.

A £39m bid from the Brazilian club was rejected last week, with City believed to be holding out for £50m.

Tevez, 27, had said he wanted to leave the Premier League outfit to spend more time with his family in his homeland.

"We have an agreement with Corinthians but Carlos now is still a City player," Mancini told Sky Sports News.

The Sao Paulo club, backed by revenue from a new television deal, want to make Tevez a landmark signing by taking him back to the club where he previously enjoyed success.Moving to South America would also help to solve Tevez's problem of being separated from his two children.

Corinthians president Andres Sanchez claimed last week that Juventus had entered the race to sign Tevez but added his own club would not increase their offer.

However, Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian revealed a few days ago that a deal with Corinthians was "close", with the player himself keen on a return to the club he previously represented in 2005 and 2006.

The former West Ham forward, who joined City from Manchester United in the summer of 2009, is under contract with Mancini's side until June 2014.

Last season Tevez was joint top scorer in the Premier League, with 20 goals.

Asked whether Tevez would now be discussing personal terms, Mancini replied: "I don't know this. I repeat, at the moment, Carlos is still a City player."

Mancini is currently on his club's pre-season tour of North America and added: "I want to wait. At the moment we are here, we are working with the other guys. We should think about this."

If Tevez does go, his 23-year-old fellow countryman Sergion Aguero, who is rated at £45m by Atletico, is regarded as a natural replacement.

Widget by Forex Trading | Business


Post a Comment